Waltham Windmill is located in a medium size village near Grimsby North East Lincolnshire. The windmill was erected in 1878-1880 by a local man names John Saunderson of Louth. sac kanken The windmill was built using light coloured local bricks and tarred, it has 6 double patent sails and a traditional Lincolnshire ogee (onion shaped cap) but no balcony. goedkoop nikes The mill presents 2 pairs of french millstones which is used for grinding flour and 2 pairs of derbyshire peak stones used for grinding more coarse materials such as animal feed. Cheap Nike Air Max Trainers UK During the first world war, one of the sails was lost leading to the opposite one removed to balance it (this was done due to the unavailability of timber). New Balance Pas Chers The mill was worked by wind until 1962, then operated for a short while using an electric engine during this time it was producing animal feed. nike air max pas cher Today the windmill is funded by the Waltham Windmill Preservation Society and the Waltham Windmill Trust. chaussures adidas Within the grounds of the windmill there is a miniature railway and a museum of the history and rural life of Grimsby, it also presents a old sweet shop an Indian restaurant and a cafe.
Thornton Abbey was a medieval abbey located close to the village of Thornton Curtis in North Lincolnshire.
It was originally founded as priory in 1139 and then raised to the higher status of Abbey in 1148.
The abbey was closed in 1539 by King Henry VIII as part of the dissolution of the monasteries. Thornton was a wealthy and distinguished house and was valued at the time of the dissolution for the great sum of £591 0s 2 ¾ d.
Although there is nothing left above ground of the original 12th century founding abbey building, a few remains still do exist of the later abbey from the 13th/14th centuries mainly three walls of the chapter house and part of the cloister.
Different architecture has been used through the ages on the abbey from the popular Romanesque style of medieval Europe characterised by semi-circular arches to the Gothic style which flourished in the early medieval period.
The gatehouse is amongst the earliest largescale uses of brick in England. It stands two storeys high and is structurally intact. Notably there are few windows in the building and due to the depth of the walls the interior dimensions are quite restricted.
The outside of the building is decorated with three almost lifesize statues directly above the gate. A bridge over the moat adjoins the gatehouse and is fortified with walls and guardrobes.
The nearby Abbot’s Lodge is a grade I listed building.
The site is currently in the care of English Heritage and and is open to the public and well worth a visit if you’re in the area.
The Roman Baths is a historical attraction in the city of Bath, attracting over 1 million visitors each year.
The Roman Baths were constructed in 70 AD as a grand bathing and socializing area, and is now one of the most preserved Roman ruins in the world. With 1,170,000 litres of steaming spring water filling the bath site every day, the Romans believed this was mystical work of the Gods however we have discovered otherwise.
The Roman Baths are below modern street level, hosting 4 major features: The Roman Temple, The Roman Bath House, The Sacred Spring and the Museum holding finds from the Roman Bath.
The Hot Springs form when the water which bubbles up fro the ground at Bath falls as rain on the nearby hills, it then filters through limestone to a depth of between 2,700 and 4,300 metres, this is where geothermal energy increases the temperature to between 69 and 96 Degrees Celsius.
References taken from: